The existing roof was a multi-ply, built-up roofing (BUR) with a granular-surfaced cap sheet. The existing cap sheet roof membrane was coated with white acrylic. It was evident that the roof had issues prior as there had been numerous repairs by other contractors. These repairs had piled up over time as more and more materials were added on top of the existing roof membrane, creating numerous ponding issues on the roof. This altered the original slope design for the roof as it impeded the proper flow of water off the roof.
The owner of the building had a number of roofing contractors access the existing roof conditions. Due to the poor conditions of the existing roof membrane, all of them provided a costly tear-off and installation of a completely new roof membrane. When the building owner contacted HP Roofing Pro, we took a more creative approach in trying to address the building owner’s problems. We realized the majority of the existing roof deck was still in sound condition. A few sections of the roof deck had been compromised due to ongoing leak issues. However, those compromised roof locations were easily addressed by changing out the wood on the roof deck.